Information on Healthy Aging
Staying active is an important way for everyone to stay independent, build good health and stay involved in their community. STAR provides information for seniors to help keep them walking and using transit, bicycles, tricycles and other devices for assisted movement.
Find out about STAR supported ride programs that help you access transportation services that provide more assistance and take you greater distances.
Tips for Staying Active
- Take a walk once a day;
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator;
- Spend less time in front of the television or computer;
- Play actively with your kids or grandkids;
- Walk, wheel or cycle for short trips; or
- Find out about walking and cycling paths nearby and use them.
Tips for Staying Healthy
If you are a senior, look for ways to keep yourself healthy, strong and flexible. Staying healthy is an important way for you to keep your independence. There are five determinants that play key roles in healthy aging:
- Healthy Eating
- Injury Prevention
- Oral Health
- Physical Activity
- Smoking Cessation